Sunday 26 April 2015

Metasprint Triathlon 2015

The Metasprint Triathlon 2014 was my first ever tri race.


I wrote a note on FB about it and to my surprise, I apparently inspired some friends to do triathlons.
Below was my FB note:



My first triathlon

I've never been an athletic type.As a child I had severe asthma and hated swimming as well.All thru primary school I never did any sports.
Things changed in sec school where I started to learn and like swimming.My BVSS schoolmates were all into cycling too so I joined them as well. Finances at home were tight so I bought my first mtb with my hong bao money.It was essentially a market bike, but I still trashed the life out of it, hitting Ubin regularly with my school mates and friends.
Well one day the crank dropped out of that bike.I locked it at a busstop at Bedok South and it was promptly stolen lols.
I hated running as well.All thru NS I hated it, only managing to pass my IPPT.
Fast forward 10 years, got married had a kid and really put on the kilos.Somehow I decided to start cycling again, and found my home with the PGSK relatively relaxed riders.Great bunch of guys and gals, always have fun riding with them.
Well the cycling didnt manage to shed that much kilos.A particularly bad picture with my belly hanging out pushed me to really do something about it.
Quite a few ppl have asked how I did it and I told them all PAIN.Tues Cycle, Wed core exercises, Thurs cycle, Fri run, Sat swim, Sun cycle.Plus watching what I eat which is real tough as I'm a very picky eater.
I found that I wasn't dying from my run and my swim wasn't killing me either.The thought started entering my head...what about tri?
I used to think triathletes were crazy.Why the hell would anyone wanna do this? But slowly the possibility started entering my mind.
As we entered 2014, and my mid life crisis deepened...I decided to myself, this is the year I am gonna do it.
Signed up for the Metasprint series, which is a 750m swim, 20km bike and a 5km run.very doable!
A month before, I found that I still wasn't making it so signed up for David 'Yellowfish' swim and stride classes.His coaching and open water course helped in my swims and strides helped in my run.As for bike, I had the PGSK training rides to thank.
So today I've completed my first tri.A goal accomplished and I must say I enjoyed myself.
Thank you Lord for all the journey mercies, keeping me safe on the training rides (last thurs was a close one!)Thanks to the wife and family who had to help out when I started my training.Thank you to all the friends who encouraged me and gave me invaluable tips.
Here's to the next one...OD I hope!



Some friends started asking me about triathlons and I tried to answer them. However being new to the sport, there were of course many questions I didnt have answers for. It then came to my mind to start a FB group, to gather experienced triathletes, newbies and those needing a push in the right direction, to gather, exchange tips, inspire, encourage and motivate each other.

On 5th June 2014, Triumphant was born.




I will write more about Triumphant, maybe on its one year anniversary, but for now, back to Metasprint!

This year I joined the entire series, Aquathlon, Duathlon and Triathlon. It was meant as training races for upcoming Cebu 70.3, but I had to pull out and joined PJ instead. So in the end, the triathlon was 2 weeks too late.

Some pics of the Aquathlon:



 

 The Metasprint duathlon was also the first race Triumphant raced in our new team wear:




I hate duathlons though lols.


And finally the triathlon


We woke up to the sound of thunder and pouring rain. Marina was supposed to ride down to support but couldnt do so due to the weather so I went to pick her up. We met the others at a coffeeshop at CV for some breakfast:

Doobee decided to pull out of the race due to the weather and passed his timing chip to Marina. However at about 8am, the rain had stopped and we all proceeded to the race site. At the last minute, Doobe changed his mind  and it was race on!


 looking good in our Triumphant gear


Pre start group pic


The swim was quite ok, not a bad washing machine start, I started at the edges as usual and just aimed for the first bouy in a diagonal line. Managed to clock a 18min swim which was 6 mins faster then last year.

Out of the water and it was time for the bike. I remember last year coming out of the water I was panting and couldn't run to t1. This year at least I could still run into T1.

Quick change, and it was on to the bike. It was a 2 loop out and back course. We had tail winds going out which allowed speeds up to 40kmh. My heart rate was really high though, about 180bpm and more so forced myself to slow a bit. Took my energy gel but splattered some on my self and bike. Kept having to shout bike! as there were quite a few riders who couldn't keep left, and would swerve out.

Coming into T2, slipped my shoes off while on the bike and ran into T2. Unfortunately some parts of the ground were rocks and gravel so had to tip toe thru. Ahhh miss the red carpet of PJ!

Quick change again and just when I was done, the guy beside me who had been drafting me and overtaking me on the bike course came in. Quickly got up and headed for run out.

Last year too I couldn't run out of T2, but this year just did a steady pace out. Saw our Triumphant guys on the run course and we Hi 5 each other as we passed.

Although it was only 5km, felt myself start to tire after the uturn point, but still kept going. Soon I was at the finish chute...not sure what got into me, but saw a guy ahead and just sprinted pass him across the finishing line. I think I spoilt his finishing pic oops.



All in all a fun race, but well after a 70.3, it felt like the race was too fast for me with my heart rate constantly being high. Also after the 70.3 maybe I'm still recovering but feel like fitness back to base. Even during my mon Yellowfish class I keep bonking in lane 2.

Also after a IM70.3 you just miss the awesome aid stations. Ah ice cold isotonic and coke! 

Well overall I improved by 6mins over last year, though bike and run times were worse. Also think there's an error for T2, which got evened out in my run time. No way I did T2 in 49secs, strava shows my run was a 6:11pace. This race too I didn't really bother about my timing, only checking when it was released. 




Still as always, always fun to race with Team Triumphant! Last year I did this race alone and only Keith was there who did his first triathlon then too. This year we had a great team with us!





Next race I believe will be the Nila Aquathlon, so stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment